Privacy Notice - Local Land Changes

South Hams District Council takes your privacy seriously.

We will use your information in order to process information relating to Local Land Charges. This notice sets out what we will do with your personal information and who we may share it with in respect of the above.

What information about you do we collect?

We collect the following information:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact details (email address and telephone number 

How do we collect information about you?

Relevant personal data will be collected:

  • Directly from you as the data subject
  • From other services within the Councils i.e. Planning and Legal in regard to Section 106 Planning agreements

How will your personal data be used?

  • Your personal data will be used in the following ways:
  • To ensure compliance with statutory duties
  • To respond to requests for advice and information
  • To respond to Local Land Charges Searches and any associated enquiries
  • To process any complaints

The Legal basis for processing your data

  • Article 6 1(e) processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller. This includes functions associated with the Land Charges Act 1975 and the Infrastructure Act 2015, all subsequent legislation, statutory guidance and Regulations.

Who will your personal data be shared with?

  • Officers of the Council and the public who have an involvement in the business concerned or who are required to supply information to complete searches or other requests for information
  • Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (in the case of complaints)
  • We will share your information with Her Majesty's Land Registry (HMLR), who will process your data on the Council's behalf, under the terms of a collaboration agreement, for the purpose of testing and then the transfer of the Council's data in support of a move to the eventual transfer of the local land charges service to the HMLR. No date for this transfer of this service has yet been agreed. The Council remain the Data Controller with the HMLR acting as the Data Processor for Local Authority data shared as part of this agreement. However, the HMLR will be a Data Controller where they are undertaking their statutory powers under the Infrastructure Act. You can read more about the HMLR Local Land Charges Programme via the link: 

    Local Land Charges Programme

You can read more about how the HMLR will protect any data provided to it within the HLMR personal information charter which you can access via the link below:

Personal information charter - HM Land Registry

The Council will never sell your data to anyone else.

Transferring of data outside the EU

Your data will not be transferred outside the EU. It will be securely stored electronically within the UK only, unless it was necessary for safeguarding or for the prevention and detection of crime.

Length of time we keep your information

All records relating to land charges searches will be held for in perpetuity.

Our local land charges registers are held as a permanent record, in accordance with Local Land Charges Act 1975.

Individual rights

You have a number of rights under the General Data Protection Regulations. These can be found on the ICO website.

If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact the data protection officer.

The Data Controller for your information

South Hams District Council

Follaton House,

Plymouth Road,




Data Protection Officer

The Councils have a duty to appoint a Data Protection Officer. The Council's Data Protection Officer is Drew Powell, South Hams District Council, Follaton House, Plymouth Road, Totnes, Devon TQ9 5NE

If you have any queries about our privacy notices or would like to exercise your data rights or make a complaint, please contact the Data Protection Officer by email, telephoning 01803 861234 or writing to them at Data Protection Officer, South Hams District Council, Follaton House, Plymouth Road, Totnes, Devon TQ9 5NE

If you are not happy with how we have handled your complaint, you have the right to contact the Information Commissioner's Office to raise your concerns about how we have processed your information or how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your information:

  • Telephone them on 0303 123 1113
  • Visit their website at
  • Write to them at:

    Information Commissioner's Office

    Wycliffe House

    Water Lane



    SK9 5AF