Help and Support at Home

Day-to-day help for home-related tasks

If you or a relative needs help with day-to-day tasks, such as shopping, light cleaning, form filling and meal preparation, there are many caring organisations that you can contact.

If you are caring for someone, you may be entitled to support from the Government. Please visit Gov.UK to find out more and apply.

Carers may also be entitled to a discount on their Council Tax. Please see Discounts and Exemptions for more information and to apply.

If you need help with medical services such as dentists, pharmacists and care homes, please visit Healthwatch Devon for more information.

Other help for Home Services

  • Apply for an assisted waste collection from South Hams. This is a free service available to infirm or disabled people, or anyone who has a medical condition that makes putting their waste out difficult. 
  • If you have difficulty with everyday tasks like getting in and out of bed, washing, dressing or moving around there is a huge range of equipment and electronic gadgets available from Devon County Council to help. You can call for an assessment on 0345 155 1007.
  • Apply for a Blue Badge - The Blue Badge Scheme helps disabled people to get to places they need to go and park near to the place they want to be.
  • If you need help to stay living at home, you can contact Adult Services at Devon County Council for advice and support.
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have both:
    • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability
    • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition
  • If you are in Kingsbridge and need a lift to an appointment at the Norton Brook Medical Centre you can call 01548 855 128 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. to arrange transportation. A small donation towards the driver's petrol is requested when using the service.
  • For nearly everything else, your local Citizens Advice can offer support and advice.
  • If you need help with the costs of transport to hospital or NHS premises for specialist treatment, you may be able to claim a refund of travel costs from the NHS healthcare travel costs scheme (HTCS)

Befriending and Social Prescribing

  • Time2Talk  is a telephone and online service, provided by a friendly team of staff and volunteers. They listen and offer peer support, information, advice and signposting, for people with a long-term health condition, disability, or Deaf people who use BSL. You can call them on 0300 3033691 or text 07856 426940.
  • Social Prescribing is a way that your GP can refer you to groups and community activities that may benefit your health and wellbeing. Evidence shows that social prescribing can have a huge impact on physical and mental health. Speak to your GP practice to find out more.
  • Kingsbridge Memory Café, run by the Alzheimer's Society, runs on the third Thursday of the month from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. at the Age Concern Building, Ilbert Road, Kingsbridge TQ7 1DZ. They provide support for local people affected by dementia in a relaxed and social environment. For more information, please contact Connie Sharp on 0300 123 2029 (voicemail).