Dangerous Wild Animal Licence

If you wish to keep an animal considered to be wild, dangerous or exotic, you will need to obtain a licence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

The purpose of this licence is to make sure that there is no risk posed to the public and to safeguard the welfare of the animals.

No person may keep any dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a licence from their Local Authority.

Examples of animals which are classed as "dangerous" include:

  • Marsupials such as the Tasmanian Devil, kangaroos, wallaroos and wallabies
  • Primates including old and new world monkeys
  • Apes including chimpanzees, gorillas, bonobos and orangutans
  • Lemurs
  • Armadillos and anteaters
  • Wild dogs, wolves, jackals, maned wolves, bush dogs and dingos
  • Cats including bobcat, caracal, cheetah, jaguar, leopard, lion, lynx, ocelot, puma, serval and tiger
  • Badgers, otters (except the European Otter), tayra, wolverine, fisher and ratel (also known as the honey badger)
  • Wild donkeys, Equus asinus, Equus africanus asinus and zebras. Domestic donkeys and horses are excepted.
  • Bovines such as antelopes, bison, buffalo and gazelles. Domestic cattle, buffalo, goats and sheep are excepted.
  • Camels
  • Old world pigs, such as wild boar or warthog
  • Cassowaries and ostriches

Click here to see the full list of animals you need a licence for.

How do I apply?

To apply for a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence, please email us at licensing@swdevon.gov.uk.

How much will it cost?

There is a fee which must be paid at the time an application is made.

For fees please view our Fees page.

Pay Now

The applicant will also be required to pay the cost of the inspection carried out by the Councils authorised Veterinary surgeon / practitioner.

How long does a Licence last?

A licence lasts for a maximum of 2 years.