Section 21, Section 8 and Landlord Disputes

If you are at risk of homelessness because of an eviction notice, or because of problems with your landlord, please read the information below.

Section 21 or Section 8 notice

If you are being evicted by your private landlord there are a number of ways that we can help. There are rules that your landlord must follow depending on the type of tenancy you have. You can read more information on what these rules are if you are renting privately here.

If you are renting from a social landlord, such as a Housing Association, please see here for more information.


Your landlord has duties to undertake repairs if you have told them about the problem. Sometimes a landlord does not do the repairs, disagrees that repairs need to be done or disputes responsibility for the repairs.

For information on what to do if you find yourself in this situation, go to the Citizen's Advice Website.

Landlord Harassment

Whatever type of tenancy you have, your landlord does not have the right to harass you. Some examples of things that could be considered harassment are:

  • Calling round whenever they wish;
  • Disconnecting fuel supplies;
  • Taking your belongings;
  • Threatening to harm or evict you.

Your landlord cannot evict you without obtaining an eviction warrant from a court.

Harassment and Illegal Eviction are criminal offences. If found guilty, your landlord could be fined, sent to prison, or both. Our Housing Options Team can intervene and mediate with your landlord to stop harassment or illegal eviction, and help get you back in your home.

For more information on landlord harassment visit Shelter's website.

Family or Friends Exclusion or being Evicted by a Resident Landlord

If your landlord lives with you, or if you share a kitchen, bathroom or living room with them or a member of their family, you are classed as an 'excluded occupier.' This means that your landlord only needs to give you reasonable notice to end the tenancy.

We can help you to negotiate with your landlord to see if the arrangement can continue. In situations where it is clear that this is not going to work, we can advise you on the best course of action to resolve your situation. For more information visit Shelter's website.