Learn about radon and what you can do if you live in an area with high radon levels.

Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas. We can't see, smell or taste it: you need special equipment to detect it. It comes from the rocks and soil found everywhere in the UK.

Every building contains radon, but the levels are usually low. The chances of a higher level depend on the type of ground.

Some buildings in "Radon Affected Areas" have higher levels. Buildings in these areas should be tested for radon. High levels can be reduced by simple building works.

There are Radon Affected Areas in both South Hams and West Devon.

The Council does not carry out Radon Testing.

Check if you are in a Radon Affected Area:

Please use the interactive map at UK Radon to check if your property is in a Radon Affected Area:

Interactive Map

Where can I find out more?

UK Radon (part of the UK Health Security Agency - UKHSA) is the main resource for advice about Radon in the UK. 

You can find all the information you need on their website, including testing kits and how to reduce radon levels in your home.

Visit the UK Radon site