Toggle menu

Council Tax Energy Rebate - FAQs

You can find the answers to some frequently asked questions about the Council Tax Energy Rebate below.

Q. How can I check my council tax band?

A. It will be on the Council Tax bill you have just received, or you can go to the Gov.UK website to check.

Q. What if I do not pay by direct debit and have no access to the Council's online forms?

A. You may make an assisted application from 1 April onwards by calling our Customer Service Team on the number below:

01803 861234

Q. What if I don't want the rebate?

A. If you don't want to receive the rebate, please use this link to let us know.

You should be aware that the Council cannot use the declined monies for any other purpose, such as providing more funding for those in need. Declined funds will be returned to Central Government.

If you want the money to be used to support others, do not decline the rebate. Instead, once you receive it, you can choose to donate it to any cause or person you choose.

Q. I have appealed against my Council Tax Band, will I receive my Council Tax Rebate if I am successful?

A. No, if on 1 April 2022 the Council's records show your property is in bands E - H you will not be eligible, even if the Valuation Office subsequently reduce your band and backdate it prior to 1 April 2022.

You would still receive a refund of any overpaid Council Tax though for previous years.

Q. I am still waiting for my property to be banded - will I receive a Council Tax Rebate?

Once your property is banded, you will only receive a Council Tax Rebate payment if you meet all the eligibility criteria for 1 April 2022.

Q. If I receive a Council Tax Rebate payment but left the property before 1 April 2022 - what do I do?

If you receive a payment that you were not eligible for then you will need to repay the payment.  Where a person pays by Direct Debit, the Council will have made some assumptions to make payments quicker to households.  If you receive a payment that you were not eligible for then you will need to repay it.

You may still be entitled to a payment for the property that you have moved to.

If you apply for the Council Tax Rebate payment and knowingly gave false information on that application, you will have to repay the payment and will be prosecuted under the Fraud Act 2006.

Q. What happens if my Council Tax bill shows I don't have to pay anything because of my personal circumstances; will I still receive the £150?

A. If you are the person named on the Council Tax bill, and occupy the property as your main home on 1 April, you are still entitled to receive the £150 Energy Rebate, even if your Council Tax bill shows you have nothing to pay.

Please go back to the previous page to apply for the £150 Rebate, and provide us with your details for the payment.

Q. If I am overdrawn, can I make sure the bank use my Rebate payment to pay my Energy Bills?

If your account is overdrawn or you have an overdraft, you have the right of 'appropriation' to stop the Rebate payment being used against it.

You will need to put this in writing to your bank, to inform them that you wish to use the Rebate payment to pay certain bills.  More information and a template to help you contact your bank are available at National Debtline.

Discretionary Fund Payments

Q. If I am not eligible for the Council Tax Rebate can I get any help?

A. The Council has been given funding for a Discretionary Scheme to help those energy bill payers who are not eligible for the Council Tax Rebate payment.

The Council will design a scheme to support households using that funding and will publish the scheme on this webpage.

The maximum payment will be £150 from the Discretionary Fund, and a household cannot receive a payment from both the Council Tax Rebate scheme and the Discretionary Scheme.

Q. How do I claim for a Discretionary Fund payment?

A. The Council will publish details on its website once the scheme has been agreed.  You will need to claim through an application process which we will include on the Council's council tax webpage.

General FAQs

Q. Will the Council Tax Rebate or the Discretionary Fund Payment be repayable?

A. No. You don't have to repay either the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund payment. You would only have to pay it back if you were not eligible to receive it in the first place.

Q. Will the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund appear on my Council tax bill or be deducted from my council tax account?

A. No, this is a one-off payment and it will not be deducted from your council tax bill.

Q. Can more than one member of my household claim the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund?

A. No. The grant is being provided to support all residents of your household 

Q. Are the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund payment taxable?

A. No. If you receive either of these payments you do not need to inform HMRC or include them in your self-assessment tax returns. 

Q. What happens if I make a false claim or provide false information for either the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund payment?

A. You will be guilty of fraud under the Fraud Act 2006 and will be prosecuted.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email