Are you ready for winter in the South Hams?
South Hams District Council is launching its annual 'Are you ready for winter?' campaign, which offers top tips on how to beat everything the winter throws at us.
The Council has put together a series of links to its partner agencies covering health and wellbeing, weather, winter travel, mental health and flood advice, telling you where you can find important safety alerts and information quickly and easily.
One great way to stay ahead of the game is to sign up to social media alerts from vital public services - that way, you'll find out on your phone about impending bad weather and bad road conditions before you ever have to leave the house.
Cllr Jonathan Hawkins, South Hams District Council's Executive Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: "These important public services have vital information on highways, weather conditions and flooding. This can help keep you ahead of the curve and make sure you are as prepared as possible for any eventuality this winter.
"While many people see the festive season as a joyous time, Christmas and winter can also be a difficult period for some of us. Don't be afraid to reach out for important advice on mental health and how to look after yourself if you need it.
"I'd encourage you to follow us, and our partners, to keep you safe this winter season."
To stay safe this winter and stay as prepared as possible for cold snaps, flooding and anything else that this winter throws up, here's where you can find important information quickly and easily.
You can also find advice about prevention and protection from flooding, information about how to reduce fuel bills and COVID-19 information for residents and businesses.
Want social media alerts and help?
- Looking for information about floods and how to be #floodaware? Follow the Environment Agency - @EnvAgencySW
- Is there a storm approaching? Follow @metofficestorms or @metofficeSWEng.
- Worried about the road network in bad weather, check in with @Devonalerts and @highwaysengland
- Worried about Flu or winter bugs? Go to @NHSSW @UKHealthSecurityAgency
- Suffering with your mental health and want some support? Contact the Samaritans by going to @Samaritans or calling 116 123 24/7.
Issued 23 November 2021