Toggle menu

Housing, Grants and Homelessness

Home Energy Grants and Heating

  • The Healthy Homes Grant covers work to make safe a defect or hoarding/accumulation that is considered to pose a risk to the health, safety or welfare of the occupier. You can claim up to £5000 over a 2-year rolling period. Applicants must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit and the works must be agreed by the Council. Email Environmental Health.
  • The Eco-flex top-up used for energy efficiency works through Energy Company Obligation (ECO) funding obtained through individual installers. Grants of up to £2000 available visit More information is available here or Email Eco Funding.
  • Home Improvement Loans can cover works identified in the other grants as determined by each Council policy. Eligibility is based on affordability and criteria will vary depending on the application. Visit our Home Improvement page for more information.
  • Cosy Devon offer free energy efficiency improvements for low income householders across Devon and Torbay.


Our Housing Advice Team can help with:

  • Rent arrears, 
  • Homelessness prevention fund
  • Negotiation with landlord repayment plans
  • Notice to Quit
  • Homelessness or rough sleeping

Find out more here

Housing Grants and Loans available

  • If you need to make adaptations to your property to accommodate a disabled person, you can apply for an Independent Living Grants of up to £30,000. This can fund changes such as ramps, wet rooms, kitchen modifications and so on.
  • In the event that more adaptions are needed, the Accessible Homes Grant can cover the costs of adaptations over the mandatory DFG limit as well as some contributions identified under mandatory DFG, up to £20,000.
  • Grants are also available for stairlifts that cover the cost of internal straight track and curved track stairlifts up to £20,000. Applicants must be assessed by an Occupational Therapist or referred by NHS Occupational Therapist.
  • If you need to move to a more suitable property, you may be eligible for the Accessible Homes Grant. Owner-Occupiers can claim up to £10,000; tenants can claim up to £5000. 
  • For more information about all of these schemes, please Email Environmental Health.

Other Services

  • Discretionary Housing Payments can provide financial support for those already in receipt of Housing payments. Can assist with rent in advance or deposit to support with moving. Also support toward rent arrears.
  • If you are a LiveWest tenant whose housing costs are not fully covered by UC or Housing Benefit, you can apply to their Tenancy Support Fund. More information is available on their website. 
  • Westward Housing has launched a new hardship fund to help their customers. You can find out more and apply on their website, or call 0300 100 1010
  • Our Housing Advice service provides assistance with landlord mediation, advice on finding alternative accommodation, financial assistance with moving or maintaining accommodation.
  • Devon Home Choice allows you to apply online to access all social housing, which includes housing associations and local authorities across Devon
  • The Amber Foundation offer a supported housing environment that's a little different. Not just training and support to address specific personal issues but new experiences and opportunities that raise aspiration and challenge residents to take responsibility for their lives and move forward. Suitable for people aged 16-30, unemployed and homeless or sofa surfing.
  • Shelter is a national charity that works to defend everyone's right to a safe home. They can provide advice and support on a wide range of housing-related issues.

Furniture Grants and Support

  • The Eaton Fund exists to help women fleeing domestic violence. They can help with the cost of carpets and flooring, white goods and beds.
  • The Salvation Army can provide support with grants and furniture.
  • Refurnish Devon provides low cost household goods to people on low incomes throughout Devon.
  • Okehampton United Charities and Okehampton Educational Foundation are charities based in Okehampton. They can make grants to any group or individual residing with in Okehampton Town and Okehampton Hamlets (Brightley, Southcott, Meldon and Stockley).
  • The Cornelius Fund exists to help people in and around Kingsbridge with housing needs. They can help by providing an interest free loan for the deposit and the first month's rent to people trying to get started in local private rented accommodation. They can also assist with household furniture.
  • Northcott Devon Foundation is a charitable Foundation which helps individuals facing extreme difficulties where such financial help may offer some long term benefit.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email