£127,000 Business Boost for Local Towns
Dartmouth, Kingsbridge and Totnes will receive funding from South Hams District Council to help their town centres bounce back this summer and through the winter.
Earlier this year South Hams District Council invited each of the five main towns of the District to submit bids of up to £50,000. This pot of money was made available to them, to support them reopening now that COVID-19 restrictions are being lifted.
Bids were received from Dartmouth, Kingsbridge and Totnes, and today South Hams District Council is delighted to announce that all three have in some way been successful with their bids.
Dartmouth will receive £47,000, Kingsbridge will receive £30,000 funding and Totnes will receive £50,000.
Cllr Judy Pearce, Leader of South Hams District Council, said: "The bids had to follow the same rules as the Additional Restrictions (ARG) grants, which were quite restrictive, so it is an absolute credit to those towns that put the effort and thought into their bids that they have been successful.
"Formal letters have now been sent out to the towns - this was a brilliant offer from us and well done to Totnes, Dartmouth and Kingsbridge for seizing that opportunity."
The funding will be made through the Government's Additional Restrictions Grant, which was distributed by the Council to help businesses impacted by COVID-19.
The plans put forward by each town and the elements which were successful for funding under the bid are:
Dartmouth - £47,000 funding for:
- Support for those business on the Embankment that have had to modify their businesses for outdoor dining
- A hardship grant for businesses that have not been able to access any other form of funding
- A matched funded grant for business looking to undertake investment to improve their business offer
- Other plans include better signposting, crab-line recycling bins and videos promoting Dartmouth.
Kingsbridge - £30,000 funding for:
- Kingsbridge / Salcombe / Modbury Chamber of Commerce, which will extend the hugely successful "dress to impress" business grant scheme
- Plans for an open air cinema in the town square in August
Totnes - £50,000 to:
- Support the community transport scheme, including a trial park and ride at KEVICCs
- Plan an events programme in the town to boost footfall
- Support the Chamber of Commerce to deliver Christmas lights, Civic Square improvements and business support.
Issued 16 July 2021