Food Safety Checklist
This handy checklist will help you if you're setting up a new food business.
- Have you checked whether Planning Permission is required?
- If catering from home, have you confirmed that using part of your home for a business does or does not require payment of Business Rates?
- Have you registered as self-employed or do you need to register for VAT with HMRC?
- If catering from home, have you informed your home insurance provider to ensure you are covered for business use? Have you arranged public liability insurance? You should consult your legal adviser or insurance company for advice.
Register my Business
- Floors, walls, ceilings, windows, surfaces are in good condition, smooth and easy to clean.
- Sufficient work top space.
- Hand Wash basin with hot and cold water, soap and towel.
- Separate sink large enough to wash equipment with hot and cold water.
- Separate sink for washing food
- Adequate facilities for storing and disposing of waste.
- Adequate ventilation (are windows fitted with fly screens)
- Adequate Pest Proofing
- Adequate ventilated WC provision (not opening directly into food room; see further information below)
- Equipment easily cleanable
- I have a current Electrical Certificate
- I have a current Gas Safety Certificate
- Food Hygiene Training of all Food Handlers
- Provision of staff changing area and staff over clothing.
- Written Food Safety Management System
- Documentation completed on the food safety controls e.g. Safer Food Better Business
- Monitoring Record sheets, training records, supplier records provided and completed.
- I understand my responsibilities for Food Allergens
Heart of the South West Growth Hub Business needs and tailored support or call 01935 385977
Food Standards Agency
About the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
E.coli Guidance for Businesses
Health and Safety
Safer Workplace, Better Business