Discounts for single occupiers and people who are not counted as occupiers when calculating the Council Tax bill.

► Single Persons Discount - I live alone

• How can I apply?

• Do I qualify?

• How much will I receive?

► Discount Disregards

• Who is disregarded?

• Do I Qualify?

• How much will I receive?

► Changes to your household

► Contact us

Single Persons Discount - I live alone

How can I apply?

You can apply for a single person discount by clicking here.

If you are receiving single person discount but need to amend this, please call us on: 01803 861275

If you have just purchased or taken on a tenancy and have not yet registered for Council Tax, please use this link to complete a form to give us all of the details together.

Do I qualify?

To qualify for a single person's discount you must be the only adult resident in the property as your sole or main residence.

How much will I receive?

If only one adult lives in the dwelling as their main home, they can have their Council Tax bill reduced by 25%.

Discount Disregards

Where a property is occupied by more than one person, we can sometimes 'disregard' residents when working out the Council Tax bill.

For example, if a Student and Non Student occupy a property, we can disregard the student, and the Council Tax bill will be reduced to the equivalent amount of a single occupier.

To receive a reduction, the number of non-disregarded adults, can be no more than one.

Please note: being disregarded, does not necessarily mean you will not be named on the Council tax bill - for example, if the owner is disregarded as a student, but has a non-disregarded tenant living with them in their property, the owner would still be the person liable to pay the reduced Council Tax bill.

Who is disregarded (not counted as an occupant for Council Tax)?

Some people aren't counted toward the number of people in the property for Council Tax purposes. These include:

  • People on apprentice schemes - the apprentice must be employed and taking a qualification to learn a trade or profession and be on a salary or allowance that in total can be no more than £195.00 per week. If you think you may be entitled to this reduction, please contact us on 01803 861275 .
  • 18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education (for more information and to apply go to the Discounts for students in your household page)
  • Full-time college and university students (for more information and to apply go to the Discounts for students in your household page)
  • Young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency
  • Student nurses - you can apply by clicking here.
  • Foreign language assistants registered with the British Council - if you think you may be entitled to this reduction, please contact us on 01803 861275 .
  • People with a severe mental disability - you can apply here .
  • Live-in carers who look after someone who isn't their partner, spouse or child (under 18) - you can apply here
  • People in detention or prison, where this leaves only one other non-disregarded resident in the property - you can apply here

Do I Qualify?

There are different criteria for qualification depending on your personal circumstances.

The online form will advise you what evidence is required.

How much will I receive?

If, after deducting anyone listed above, the number of adults living in the property is one, the Council Tax bill can be reduced by 25%.

If there are two or more persons not disregarded, you will not receive any discount disregard reduction in your Council Tax bill.

If there is only one person not disregarded, you will receive a 25% discount disregard reduction in your Council Tax bill.

If there are no people left who are not disregarded, you will either receive a 50% discount disregard reduction, or depending on why individuals are disregarded, you may receive a full exemption (100% reduction) in your Council Tax bill.

Changes to your household

If another adult moves into your property whilst you are receiving the discount then, unless they fall into a category of adult that isn't counted for Council Tax purposes (see above), you may need to pay more Council Tax.

Contact us

If you have another adult move into your property, please contact us as soon as possible and we will advise you.

Remember, if you delay, you may owe more money and have less time to pay us.