1. Please read this guidance and the Frequently Asked Questions.

2. Check whether the property is subject to the rural areas covenants. You can do this yourself, or ask you solicitor to do it for you, by making a search at the Land Registry. The Council is not able to supply this information.

3. If the property is subject to the rural area restriction, you need consent to sell it from:

  • South Hams District Council for properties sold before 22 March 1999
  • LiveWest for properties sold after 22 March 1999

4. You can apply to the Council for consent by

  • Asking your solictor to complete an s157 Certificate
  • Completing the Icon for pdf Statutory Declaration [142.82KB] and attaching two forms of documentary evidence. These documents are required to show that the person(s) buying the house have lived and/or worked in Devon for three years immediately prior to the sale.

Examples of documents that you could use are:

  • Utility bills
  • Polling cards or Council Tax bills
  • A letter from your employer confirming continuous employment in Devon for the previous three years.

5. Once we are satisfied that the criteria for the rural area covenant has been met, we will issue a Letter of Consent to transfer the property.

6. If you cannot meet the requirements, and we are not able to consent to the sale, we will inform you.