Toggle menu

Dropped Kerbs

Dropped kerbs are kerbs that are lowered to allow vehicles to cross over the pavement to go into a driveway.

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have dropped kerb, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice. Furthermore:

  • You may become liable from a collision with a pedestrian
  • You may become liable for damage to the footway
  • You may face considerable costs as a result of damage to any utility apparatus under the footway

All new or altered dropped kerbs and verge/footway crossovers must be approved by the Highways Authority at Devon County Council and the work undertaken by an approved contractor.

Use the Buy With Confidence scheme to find a contractor. 

Do I need planning permission?

You must check if you need planning permission before a dropped kerb is installed. 

First you need to find out of a road is classified or unclassified.  Planning permission is usually only required if the road is a classified road or a trunk road. 

Check what class your road is by using the road checker on the Devon County Council website.

You will need planning permission for a dropped kerb if:

  • If your road is Class A, B or C  (You can check what class your road is by using the road checker on the Devon County Council website
  • Your property is divided into flats
  • Your property is in a conservation area and you'd need to remove a gate pillar, wall or fence that's over one metre high
  • You need structural work to make the parking area

My dropped kerb does need planning permission. Now what do I need to do?

Before construction of the dropped kerb can start, the following steps need to be followed:

You must submit it on a standard form, either online or by post.  The simplest way to submit a planning application is online. Click the 'apply online' image below. 

Apply Online at the Planning Portal

Note - As part of the application you need to select and complete Certificate B as you are not the owner of the land where the dropped kerb will be added.

Once you have received your planning permission (this takes approximately 8 weeks), you will need to:

  • Seek approval from the Highways Authority.
  • Choose a contractor.
  • Your chosen contractor applies to the Highways Authority for a licence to construct the dropped kerb.
  • The contractor notifies the Highways Authority when the works will commence.
  • Construction starts and a Highway Officer inspects the construction during and after completion.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email