Devon County Council Services
Many services in the South Hams are provided by Devon County Council rather than the District Council. You can find links to some of the services that we are commonly asked about here.
Services provided by Devon County Council:
- For schools, education and families, please see Education and families.
- For roads and transport, including blue badges, on-street parking, and bus passes, please Roads and Transport.
- To report a pothole, or another issue with a road, footpath or streetlight, please use the report an issue form.
- For care and health, including adult and children's social care, care and support and community transport, please see Care and Health.
- To register a birth, marriage or death, or to obtain a copy of a certificate, please Contact the Registrars.
- To find your Councillor at Devon County Council, please Contact your County Councillor.
The law requires us to provide some services. These are known as statutory duties and include services like:
- Organising local and national elections
- Compiling and maintaining the Register of Electors
- Homeless strategy and homelessness prevention
- Housing Advice
- Housing registers, including the self-build register
- Housing benefits
- Environmental health
- Council Tax and Non-Domestic Rates collection
- Waste collection and recycling
- Street cleansing
- Food safety, food export certificates and water sampling
- Food Hygiene rating scheme
- Health and Safety
- Building Control (in partnership with Devon Building Control Partnership)
- Licensing of taxis, gambling premises, alcohol and entertainment licencing, temporary events, animal activities, skin piercing and scrap metal dealers.
- Local plans and development management (outside the Dartmoor National Park area)
- Issuing Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs)
You can read more about which of our services are discretionary and which are required by law at Statutory Duties
If you still can't find what you're looking for, please get in touch.