If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you may be entitled to a 25% discount off your Council Tax.
If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there is a 50% discount.
How do I apply?
Please contact the Council Tax Team using the button below in the first instance. You will need to select 'other' from the list of options.
Do I Qualify?
You count as an apprentice if you are:
- Employed for the purpose of learning a trade, business or profession, and
- Undertaking a programme of training leading to an accredited qualification, and
- Receiving a salary or allowance (or both) of £195 or less per week before tax and national insurance deductions
You will need to provide the following evidence for your discount to be applied. If we do not receive evidence of each the discount will not be put onto your account:
- Evidence of your salary. This can be your contract of employment or your wage slips covering the last two months.
- Evidence of the course you are undertaking and the qualification you are working to obtain.
- Evidence of the dates of your course.
Who is a youth trainee?
You are classed as a youth trainee if:
- You are under 25 and have an individual training plan funded by the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency
We will need to see evidence of your date of birth and training plan to consider you for this discount.