We now offer web chat, please use the button below to talk directly with one of our Customer Service Team.

Universal Credit

If you want to apply for help towards your rent costs you will need to apply for Universal Credit unless you fall into one of the categories below:

  • People who have three or more children.
  • People of pension age.
  • Those who are renting a property where care, support or supervision is provided by or on behalf of the landlord.
  • Those in temporary accommodation provided by the Housing Department in order to prevent homelessness.

Apply for Universal Credit 

If you fall into any of the above categories, you will need to claim housing benefit from us. Claiming a benefit online is:

  • Quick to do.
  • Mobile device friendly.
  • Simple as it tells you what information you need to provide.

Click here to make a new Housing Benefit Claim

Once you have made a claim

If you are eligible for housing benefit, the amount you will get depends on who lives with you, your total income and any savings you may have. It can also be affected by the amount of rooms your family needs.

If you are eligible for Council Tax Reduction, it will be taken off the amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

Changing a current claim

If you are claiming benefit and you have any change in your circumstances you must inform us straight away.

If you do not tell us about changes in your circumstances you could be getting the wrong amount of Housing Benefit. If you get too much you will in most cases have to pay this money back. To ensure you receive all the benefit you are entitled to you must tell us within one month.

Some examples of changes in circumstances that you need to tell us about are:

  • If you move to a different address
  • If someone moves into or out of your home
  • If you have a baby
  • If a child leaves school and you no longer get child benefit for them
  • If your income goes up or down - this includes other household members
  • If you or anyone in your household starts or stops work
  • If you or your partner's job seekers allowance, employment support allowance or income support stops or changes.

Remember, there are also other changes that may affect your Housing Benefit so please tell us even if you think it will not make a difference.