Holding Events During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

Event Organisers can still apply to hold events on Council Land during the lockdown if they wish.

However, due to the current circumstances we will not be able to confirm or reject the booking until 28 days before the event.

When the Government advice about gatherings and events changes, we will update you and confirm bookings.

How do I book an event?

It is important that if you are planning an event on Council land that you consider carefully how you will put on a safe and enjoyable event. To assist in this, we have produced a guide which you can download from the right side of this page.

What information do you need?

You will need to submit the following:-

We require a minimum of 28 days' notice in advance of any proposed event. If an application is submitted with less than 28 days' notice, it will automatically be refused.

How much will it cost?

South Hams District Council applies an administration fee of £55 plus VAT per event.

Payment is required when completing the application. Please select EVENT BOOKING from the drop down list of payment options on the "Payments" page.

Occasionally, where it is deemed that the Council land is being used for a commercial purpose, a formal Licence to occupy may be more suitable and an appropriate Licence fee may be payable.

What spaces are available?

Below is a list of commonly used open spaces:-


  • North Embankment    (Please note commercial trading activity will not be permitted)
  • South Embankment    (Please note commercial trading activity will not be permitted)


  • Woodlands Park


  • Duncombe Park
  • Kingsbridge Town Square
  • Recreation Ground


  • Cliff House Gardens


  • Borough Park
  • Follaton House Gardens and Arboretum
  • Longmarsh
  • The Rotherfold
  • The Shady Garden
  • Totnes Market Square
  • Vire Island

Most of our car parks can also be booked for events. Please use the "Apply to Book an Event" form.