Good dog ownership & common sense dictate that dogs should be on a lead near roads, livestock, wildlife & any area or activity where close control is needed.
Dogs must be on a lead (District of South Hams Dogs on Leads by Direction Order 2013) in most roads in and more specifically in the following locations:
- Areas with retail premises designated as zone 1 under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 - i.e. where there are 2 or more commercial/shop premises
- Car parks
- Cemeteries and Churchyards
- Any fenced, hedged or walled pond, are of water or nature reserve
- Marked sports fields whilst organised sport is n progress
Formal gardens listed as:
- Royal Avenue Gardens, Dartmouth
- Kingsbridge Quayside and Market Square (including bandstand)
- Recreation ground, Kingsbridge including the Embankment footpath and grass strip to include the town square
- Cliff House Gardens, Salcombe
Dogs on Leads by Direction
An authorised Council Officer will have the power to request that an owner place their dog on a lead in any open public area where the dog is causing a nuisance or likely to do so.