The Council and petitions
We welcome petitions and recognise that they are one way in which people can let us know their concerns.
If you send a petition to us you, we will receive an acknowledgement from the Council within ten working days of receipt. This acknowledgement will set out what we plan to do with the petition.
Where do I send my petition?
South Hams District Council
What happens next?
- Petitions can also be presented to a meeting of the Council. These meetings take place on an approximate six weekly basis and dates and times can be found on our Meetings, Agendas and Minutes page.
- If you would like to present your petition to the Council, or would like your councillor to present it on your behalf, please contact Member Services on 01803 861234 at least fifteen working days before the meeting and they will talk you through the process.
- Starting an online petition makes it available to a potentially much wider audience and giving you the opportunity to gather more names in support
- It also provides the opportunity for online debate, giving decision makers the chance to see the strength of feeling about the issue
- E-petitions must follow the same guidelines as paper petitions
- The petition organiser will need to provide us with their name, postal address and email address
- You will also need to decide how long you would like your petition to be open for signatures
- Most petitions run for six months, but you can choose a shorter or longer timeframe, up to a maximum of 12 months