Toggle menu

Making a Noise Nuisance Complaint

What can I do about noise coming from someone's land or house?

  • If you can, try to speak to the person causing the noise before you contact us.
  • If you don't feel happy speaking to them, you could write to them instead.
  • People might not realise their noise is causing problems and letting them know how it affects you may resolve the issue.

How we can help?

We can help or advise about noise, including:

  • Barking Dogs
  • Building sites
  • Burglar and car alarms
  • Factories and noisy deliveries
  • Nightclubs and pubs
  • Noisy neighbours
  • Outdoor music events and parties
  • Shops and restaurants

We cannot help with:

  • Noise from aircraft
  • Noise from  moving traffic
  • Noise from people in the street
  • Noise from construction between the hours of 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. Monday to Friday, and Saturday 8.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.

How do I report a noise nuisance?

You can Report a Noise Nuisance to us and we will investigate. 

How will we investigate your complaint?

  • We can write to the person responsible, if you agree, and tell them about the complaint, asking them to try to prevent any more problems
  • We ask you to keep a diary for two weeks, detailing when you hear the noise and how it affects you
  • If the noise still carries on, we have to try to witness the noise to see if it is considered a 'statutory nuisance'. We will make up to 3 visits to try to witness the noise. This may also include the use of noise monitoring equipment.

What is a 'Statutory Nuisance'?

There's no strict definition in law. It can be described as 'an unreasonable interference with the enjoyment of your property'. It must occur regularly and continue for a period of time that makes it unreasonable.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email