Toggle menu

Domestic Abuse

When it comes to domestic abuse don't suffer in silence, we can help - and it's really important to know that there are a variety of options available to you.

We can take action to help people remain in their homes or move them to a place of safety. If you are in an abusive relationship, you should seek help and support as soon as possible.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse can be physical, emotional, sexual or financial abuse. If you are physically or verbally threatened, or made to feel afraid, you may be experiencing abuse.

You may experience domestic violence and abuse from your partner or ex-partner, or from a family member.

Who should I contact if I need immediate or urgent help?

  • If you are in danger, you should ring 999 and ask for the Police.
  • You can also ring the Women's Aid Helpline on 0808 2000 247.
  • Male victims of domestic abuse can call Respect on 0808 801 0327.

How can the council help?

If you are suffering domestic abuse there are a number of things we can do to help, depending on your circumstances:

  • We can refer you to the Sanctuary Scheme, which enables you to remain at home and feel safe. The scheme can provide you with a safe room in your home, changes of locks or a personal alarm.
  • We can also refer you to the Police Domestic Violence Unit, who may be able to assist with injunctions against your partner.
  • If you have to leave your home because of the violence or abuse, we can refer you to a place of safety such as a refuge or safe house.
  • We can help you get in touch with agencies such as FearLess (formerly Splitz) who can help to support you.

Contact the Housing Advice Team on the number below if you would like any further information or advice.

01803 861234

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email