Toggle menu


As the Local Planning Authority, we are responsible for making sure that new developments will not be affected by flooding or will not cause a risk of flooding to others.

Drainage Assessment Guidance

Every planning application needs a drainage assessment. Here we identify what drainage details are needed for different types of planning applications.

Critical Drainage Areas

A CDA is an area with critical drainage problems (which has been formally notified to the Local Authority by the Environment Agency). Within CDAs, proposed development may present risks of flooding on-site and/or off-site if the surface water runoff is not effectively managed.

Flood Zones

Guidance for completing a Flood Risk Assessment (FRA) including how to find out which flood risk area your development is in.

Consultees and Legislation

To help us assess the development for flood risks, we consult with relevant bodies including the Environment Agency and Devon County Council.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email