Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site
For your information
Our payment service will be offline on Tuesday 21st November from 13:00 onwards...
Read more

Duty Planner Information

The Duty Planner service can assist you to deal with any problems you may face during a planning application. They can also offer general planning advice.

Do I need to see a Duty Planner?

When can I see the duty planner?

The duty planner service is  available 5 mornings a week by appointment only. 

As part of our shared service, duty planner times have been extended and planners working across both the South Hams and West Devon will be available to speak with you.

Face to face meetings

For face to face meetings, the Duty Officer is available at:

Follaton House Totnes, on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9am to 1pm.

Kilworthy Park Tavistock, on Wednesdays and Fridays, 9am to 1pm.

Okehampton Customer Services Centre on the second and firth Mondays of each month, 9am to 1pm

Specialist advice about Listed Buildings will be available on alternate Thursdays, 9am to 1pm at Follaton House, Totnes one week and Kilworthy Park, Tavistock the next.

Phone calls

  • You will be able to book a call back from the duty planner who will be available every weekday.
  • You can book an appointment for an officer to call you back at a time which suits you from Monday to Friday, between 9am and 1pm.

How do I book an appointment with a duty planner?

  • To book an appointment please ring:

South Hams: 01803 861234 

West Devon: 01822 813600

  • The service is available Monday to Friday, 9am to 1pm
  • You can book a call back appointment or a face to face meeting with a duty planner
  • Appointments are 15 minutes long and you can book up to 2 weeks in advance

What can the duty planner help with?

Informal advice:

  • We can assist you if you're completing a planning application form and the plans that need to go with it
  • General information and advice on national and local planning policy and planning processes
  • Please note that the verbal advice given by the duty planner is given on an informal basis and is intended to assist with general, basic planning enquiries
  • The advice given by a duty planner should not be seen as representing the Council's formal position and is not a substitute for using our pre- application service

If you need planning permission for:

What can't the duty planner do?

  • Offer Pre-application advice
  • Give written advice
  • Advise whether or not a plan may receive officer support
  • Say that planning permission would or would not be granted
  • Discuss the detail of large or complex plans
  • Discuss the technical advantages of existing applications, refusals or appeals
  • Agree to any minor amendments to planning permissions
  •  Discharge any planning conditions on a decision notice
  • Building Control queries - please visit Devon Building Control Partnership

If a formal response is needed

If a formal response is needed about planning permission please submit a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Use Application. The application form, information and details of the appropriate fee for an application for a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Use can be viewed on the following links:

Certificate of Lawfulness for Proposed Use - Application Form

Certificate of Lawfulness for Proposed Use - Guidance

The officer on duty is managed by a rota. If you come into the office or phone on different day, you may not be able to speak to  the same planning officer.