About Affordable Housing
If you cannot afford to rent or buy a home on the open market, affordable or low cost housing could help.
What is affordable housing?
Affordable housing is low-cost housing intended for people in housing need who can't afford to rent or buy on the open market.
- Affordable Rent
- Affordable Home Ownership
- Social Rented sector
- Discount Market Sale
You can read the Rural Housing Alliance Guide to Rural Affordable Housing here.
What does 'affordable' mean?
'Affordable' refers to housing of any type that is considered to be affordable to local people on local incomes. This may mean lower than market value rents, shared ownership or reduced market sales.
The Council monitors income levels, house prices and rents in the area so that we can work out how many households can afford housing at different prices.
How can I find an affordable home?
- You need to apply to go on the housing register, Devon Home Choice. Go to Devon Home Choice and follow the registration process.
- Once you have registered with Devon Home Choice, you will also need to register with Help to Buy South.
About Devon Home Choice
Housing Association homes that are available to rent and shared ownership homes are advertised through Devon Home Choice.
Through Devon Home Choice you can:
- Choose which homes interest you;
- Move within Devon.
About Help to Buy
- HomeBuy Agents are registered providers appointed by the Government.
- They provide a 'one stop shop' for low-cost home ownership products.
- The local HomeBuy Agent is Help to Buy South.
- The HomeBuy agent markets most of the properties available under the different schemes, but there may be some exceptions.
- Check to see if you are eligible at Help to Buy South - Available Schemes.
Where is the affordable housing in the area?
- It is located all over the area, but is mainly concentrated in the towns.
- We measure housing need and affordability, and decide what type of affordable housing needs to be provided in which areas.
If you wish to contact us to discuss further, or you have any questions, please email us on the following address: email@example.com