Toggle menu

Report an Abandoned Vehicle

If you suspect a vehicle of being abandoned, you can report it to the Council.

Before reporting an abandoned vehicle please check whether the vehicle is taxed.

If the vehicle is taxed, it cannot be treated as abandoned until the tax has expired.

You can report abandoned vehicles using the button below. Please provide the make, model and a description of the vehicle, as well as your contact details.

Report an abandoned vehicle

If we decide to take action, a notice will be placed on the vehicle and a letter sent to the registered keepers address if possible. When the notice expires the vehicle will usually be removed and destroyed.

If the vehicle is dumped on private land, we do not have authority to remove it, and the landowner will need to take action.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) can also take action against suspicious vehicles, see GOV.UK - Check if a vehicle is taxed for more information.

Vehicles subject to SORN must be stored on private property where they have permission of the landowner.

A change in legislation means that from the 1 October 2014 it is no longer a requirement to display a tax disc.

Obstruction of the highway is dealt with by the Police under the Road Traffic Act.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email