Toggle menu

Rental Housing Standards

Rental Housing Standards

Your landlord must keep the property you live in safe and free from significant health hazards.

If you feel that something in your property is unsafe or a health hazard, please inform your landlord in writing and allow them enough time to make repairs. Your landlord should tell you when you can expect the repairs to be done. For further information please see

If you do not hear from your landlord after 14 days or if the works are not going to be done, please contact us at

Your landlord's safety responsibilities

Your landlord has certain mandatory safety obligations especially regarding gas, electrical and fire safety. For further information, please see Landlord's Safety Responsibilities.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide

Regulations came into force in 2015 that require landlords to install at least one smoke alarm on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. a coal fire, wood burning stove). The landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

Damp and Mould

Damp and Mould problems are very common and in most cases it is caused by condensation. You can get further advice at Citizen's Advice website. If you still have a problem after following the advice please get in contact with us.

Minimum Energy Standards

Rented accommodation must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), the national minimum rating will be E.

  • From April 2020 no property can be let if it has an EPC rating of F or G. This includes existing lets.

The property must have a valid EPC and provide a copy to tenants whenever they rent their properties out. It is the landlord's responsibility to ensure they meet these requirements. They must have an EPC rated E or above as evidence that their property is legal to rent out, unless the property is exempt.

Further information is available at Minimum Energy Standards. Failure to improve or register a valid exemption can carry a fine of up to £5000. 

In some circumstances funding maybe available to cover the cost or provide a contribution to the improvement works required to comply with the regulations. This funding is available through different providers and therefore it may be beneficial to explore the different areas of funding before commencing any improvement works.

Not all properties will be able to comply fully with the Minimum Energy Performance requirements. However, there are specific exemptions that landlords may apply for. There are 6 exemptions which can be registered. For example, where all improvements up to the value of the £3500 have been made, and the property still cannot achieve an E rating, an exemption may apply.

You can find full government guidance on exemptions for privately rented properties, and how to apply for them, on the Gov.UK website.

There is help available and we are keen to work with landlords, if you are renting a property below the standard please contact us at


When appropriate the Council will take enforcement action requiring repairs/improvement to be done. This will be in the form of legal notices and there may be a charge for this.

In the event that a legal notice is not complied with the Council has adopted a Civil Penalty Notice Policy. Please see the policies below:


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email