Search site

I am moving or something has changed

If there is any change to your circumstances, it may affect the amount you pay. You should tell us straight away.

How do I tell you about a change?

You can email or telephone the council. Our contact details are shown on the right-hand side of this page. Telephone is the quickest and easiest method of telling us about a change.

If you want to notify multiple organisations about your move, like utility departments, banks and other government agencies as well as the Council, you can use the I Am Moving Website.

You can also write to us or visit the council's offices.

What might I need to tell you about?

Examples of a change could be:

  • A change in property ownership or tenants moving into/out of a property
  • You or another adult moves in or out of the property
  • A young person in the household turns 18 years old
  • You wish to change the way you pay your bill
  • An occupant is entitled to/ceases to be entitled to a discount  - for instance a student completes their course
  • Most of the furniture is moved in or out of the property
  • If someone in the household dies please complete the Report a death notification form

This list is not exhaustive. Please contact the council as soon as possible as you may be paying the wrong amount.

Please remember to update your electoral role registration if you have moved. You can do that by following the Individual Electoral Registration - Register to Vote link under related websites on the right of this page.

What do we need to know?

We will need some information from you when you contact us. For example:

  • Your name
  • Your Council Tax account number if you have one
  • The address of the property affected
  • The date that the change occurred
  • The name of the person whose circumstances have changed

If you have moved

We also need to know:

  • The exact date you moved in or out
  • Your old and new addresses
  • A forwarding address for the previous occupier or the name and address of the new occupier (if you have that information)

If you can supply all this information when you contact us, we can send your revised bill quickly and minimise any over or underpayments of Council Tax.